Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Escape

A pretty rough first draft, word vomit:

I ran.

What was I running from? I couldn’t even form words to describe it. All I had were images in my mind, flashing one by one like an old slide projector. Single frames, each one representing another reason why I wanted to escape. I wanted to get away from everything. But everything was everywhere.

And I was getting nowhere. Running was useless.

Suddenly I tripped, and through me rushed a fleeting second of clarity, as if time had stopped for just a moment. And all I could think of, in the midst of such clarity, was;

“Oh fuck.”

My hands saved my face, but my body hit the ground with what I remember as a crack, even though nothing had broken. As I tried to immediately lift myself from the ground as if nothing had ever happened, I realised that every ounce of energy left in my limbs had been drained. Gravity took over my body and I simply laid my head down on the cold concrete gently and watched the ants meandering about the edge of the footpath. At the time I’d pondered on whether they knew they were so vulnerable in the scheme of things. And then I’d realised that really, they had it sorted. Humans were the vulnerable ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment